It is a good idea to arrive at the courthouse at least 15 minutes before your scheduled business. Upon entering the courthouse, you will be asked to proceed through metal detectors. This process helps ensure the safety of all courthouse visitors. You may be asked to remove items from your pockets, remove a belt, and to open any beverage containers.
By order of the Champaign County Sheriff, the following items cannot be brought into the courthouse:
- Electronic devices of any kind (cell phones, tablets, laptops, smart watches, eReaders)
- Firearms, ammunition, or explosives
- Knives of any size (to include swords, box cutters, or any edged weapons)
- Personal protective spray (mace) or any aerosol spray
- Any item whose possession is prohibited by Illinois State Statute (controlled substances, illegal weapons)
- Any item that could be considered threatening (this may include manicure kits, knitting needles, scissors, or laser pointers)
If you are traveling to the courthouse via ridesharing (Uber, Lyft), or by bus, please be aware that you may not bring your cell phone into the building. There are lockers located near the pay station in the parking lot east of the courthouse that may be used to store your device while you are in the courthouse. Each locker costs $0.25 to use, and the quarter is non-refundable.
Rules of Conduct
All those entering the Champaign County Courthouse are subject to search of their property and person.
Loitering is prohibited both outside and inside the Courthouse.
Any behavior which threatens the orderly and secure environment of the Courthouse and its visitors is prohibited.
Violation of the rules or possession of a prohibited item may result in removal or arrest.