Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Orders of Protection

Unfortunately, there may be times when it becomes necessary to involve the court to ensure that contact by a particular person ceases. When this happens an Order of Protection of case may be opened in the Champaign County court system.

How Do I File an Order of Protection?

Forms to file for an Order of Protection are available from our office or on Illinois Legal Aid Online. You must fill out the form to the best of your ability, with or without a lawyer’s help, and file it with our office. To initiate an Order of Protection, you must appear before a judge. The Court hears Order of Protection cases every weekday morning at 11:30am. Paperwork will need to be filed with the Circuit Clerk’s office by 11:00am. If you are able to arrive early, it is possible to have an Order of Protection entered the same day.

What Is a Firearms Restraining Order?

On January 1, 2019, the Firearms Restraining Order Act went into effect. This allows family members, “intimate partners”, or police to ask a judge to temporarily remove guns from someone they think may be a threat to themselves or others. These are forms approved for this process:

What Is the Difference Between an Order of Protection, a Civil No Contact Order, and a Stalking No Contact Order?

An Order of Protection may be filed when there have been recent incidents of abuse in a domestic relationship. For help filing, visit the Illinois Legal Aid Online Easy Form for Orders of Protection.

A Stalking No-Contact Order may be requested when you would like someone to stay away, when you do NOT have a relationship with this person. Visit Illinois Legal Aid Online for anĀ Easy Form for Stalking No Contact Order.

A Civil No-Contact may be requested when there has been sexual contact, but no domestic relationship. Visit Illinois Legal Aid Online to use their Easy Form for Civil No Contact Order.


If you feel you are in immediate danger, please call 911, or contact your local police department.

How long does my Order of Protection last?

Emergency orders are normally in effect for a period of two weeks. Plenary orders generally remain in effect for two years.

I No Longer Want the Order of Protection. Can I Have It Dismissed?

The Petitioner can submit a Motion to Dismiss to the court to have the Order of Protection dismissed at any time.

I Need to Modify or Extend My Plenary Order. Is That Possible?

If you need to modify or extend a Plenary order, you can file a motion to do so. Please be sure to file at least a month prior to the Plenary order expiring to allow enough time for a court date to be set and the appropriate parties to be served.

Can I File for an Order of Protection on Behalf of Someone Else?

There are circumstances in which you may file for an Order of Protection on behalf of someone else. For example, a parent may file on behalf of their child, or a guardian may file on behalf of their ward.


Order of Protection Sheriff Service Sheet

This form must be completed in order for the Sheriff to serve (or notify) the other party of an order that is granted or a hearing is set.
Order of Protection Sheriff Service Sheet